Thursday 16 June 2011

The third week starts with a bank holiday so I had the chance to visit the Science Museum, which was very interesting. From Tuesday till Thursday I worked in my placement at Communities Empowerment Networks (CEN). There I have to do some research about prevention programs. In my leisure I tried to visit more places in London, went shopping or visit museums and parks. In the evening I talked to many people from different countries and I always ask them about their political system and culture. Next week I will have a new job interview at OBV where I can work with political topics.

Jennifer




This week I finally started feeling comfortable with the tasks I am doing at the office, albeit I’m still finding it rather boring. Luckily people started noticing I am actually there. I’ve also finally managed to branch out more after work. Maybe too much. In any case I haven’t been sleeping much. Which left me pretty wired!

The last three weeks where very interesting. I have learned a lot of other cultures, languages, especially English. I do my placement at Embrace and it’s a good place to work and to improve my English.
I have seen many sights of London. ( e.g. the Tower, Buckingham Palace, Scienes Museum, British, Museum) The best day was last Saturday. The Champions Leaque Final match was in London at the Wembley Stadium. We went there by tube… many people, friendly people, singing people. It was so fantastic to feel the athmosphere in front of the stadium.
This weekend I want to go to a park and I want to enjoy the sun.






In this week I had my first day in my apprenticeship. It is a guitar shop with a really famous name in the scene. My boss is a Chinese man and he let me clean first all the expensive guitars in that shop. Then I had to tune all this beautiful instruments. We had one-hour chats and we laugh about the german and english stereotypes and drink a lot of white tea. After three days my boss give me a guitar for free use, so I can practice. It’s great!

Andreas






This week was very exciting because I worked at different areas at the Oxfame store. Although on Monday there was Bank Holiday I had to work. I worked at the till, I’ve never done this before. On Tuesday a colleague and me went to an old Lady who lives in Chelsea to take some donations. On Wednesday I had a free day. So I visited the National Army Museum and walked along the Chelsea Embankment. It was very nice. On Thursday I continued my placement. One of my tasks was to bring the money to the bank. I think this is very unusual compared to Germany that a placement student handles with the money of a store. I hope the next week will be as good as this week. See you soon!

Marcel





Hallo,
On Saturday I was working in a Russian School .My supervisor’s name is Rufina.
She is very cute and friendly. I was teaching Russian to the children.
This week J was in two Museums. I have seen many interesting things: minerals, fossils, and motorcar.
This week I had no work. My internship starts on Monday .I wont to improve my English and to see more of London.

Olga





Hey folks,

In this week I began to work in the biggest and greatest restaurant I’ve ever seen before. For the things that I’m telling You now I’ve got to say that my English skills are not perfect and I’ve never ever worked as a waiter before that.

The first work experiences in my work placement was….. well…. How could I say? It brought me down to earth. So. I had to deal with two problems: my language deficits AND my competence deficits. I really love to speak with people and make a lot of fun, but in English it seems my humor got lost in translation.

So…. What could I do?? I started to separate those two big problems form another. Then I began to solve my problem with the work competence. I don’t want to seem to be dramatic, but I really felt lost when I began to work at the first day.

But I gave everything. Now, after one week the confusion is nearly gone and it seems to get clearer and clearer what are the main tasks I have to watch for when I’m at work. And it starts to make fun. ☺ In this week on Thursday I had my first interesting conversations with my colleagues as well as with my customers.

The games have begun ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment